Shirly Laub

Policuerda

Shirly Laub

Profesora del Real Conservatorio de Música de Bruselas


Shirly Laub took up the violin when she was 4. She studied with Clemens Quatacker at the Royal Conservatory in Brussels, and farther her playing with Wiktor Liberman and Philippe Hirshhorn in Utrecht. In 1997 she she won the title of Soloist of the Community of French-speaking Radio Broadcasters and she became Juventus laureate of the Council of Europe in 2001.

From 1998 to 2005, Shirly was one of the leaders of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, in which capacity she regularly performed in the Covent Garden Royal Opera House. As a leader, she also led the BBC orchestras, as well as orchestras in France, The Netherlands, Spain, and South-Korea. In 2001, Shirly joined the New York based Silk Road Ensemble, performing chamber music with Yo Yo Ma all over the world.

Shirly’s heart, however, goes out to the chamber music she plays with the string trio TrioFenix, but also with Oxalys, of which she is one of the founding members. Shirly has performed in prestigious concert halls such as the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, the Konzerthaus in Berlin, the London Wigmore Hall, the Philharmonic hall of St Petersburg as well as the Library of Congress in Washington. She has recorded for Musiq’3, Klara, Concertzender (NL), Radio Classique France, France Musique, Suisse Romande, Radio Canada, RAI and the BBC, and for the record labels Explicit! and Fuga Libera.

In addition to her performing career, Shirly is a prolific inspirer and coach. She is a violin Professor at the Royal Conservatory in Brussels, but she also gives master-classes around the globe (London, Madrid, Tokyo, …). The string orchestra she founded in 2011 with students of the Brussels conservatories – the Orchestre du festival Musiq3 – has in the meantime appeared on radio and television across Europe. She regular officiates in juries of major music competitions such as Vibrarte (Paris) or the Queen Elisabeth Competition in Brussels.

Shirly plays a violin built in 1753 by the Bohemian luthier Jacobus Horil.